Monday, June 7, 2010

Vijay Mallya enters RS fray

STAFF WRITER 16:21 HRS IST

Bangalore, Jun 7 (PTI) Liquor baron Vijay Mallya today filed his nomination papers as JDS-backed independent candidate for the June 17 biennial elections to Rajya Sabha from Karnataka.

Flanked by former chief minister and Karnataka unit JDS president H D Kumaraswamy and his brother H D Revanna, who is leader of the 27-member JDS legislature group in the Assembly, Mallya submitted the papers to the Returning Officer.

"There is nothing dramatic in my candidature. I have represented Karnataka before. I was supported by JDS before and now also as well," a beaming Mallya, a former Rajya Sabha member, told reporters after submitting his nomination.

Asked how confident he was of winning, he quipped, "If I were not confident, then I would not be here.

No comments: